Bidirectional On/Off-Board Battery Charger Design
- The project invloved a complete design of a 3.3 kW single-phase, ac-dc and dc-dc cascade four-quadrant bidirectional battery charger to utilize it for advanced grid support operations such as reactive power support at the distribution level. The charger operates in two quadrants in the PQ power plane with five different operation modes (i.e. charging-only, charging-capacitive, charging-inductive, capacitive-only, and inductive-only). The study also presents a unified controller to follow utility PQ commands in a smart grid environment.
- Also, a bidirectional three-phase off-board charger is designed using a Vacon X series ac motor drive unit which was donated to the University of Tennessee by Vacon, an ac drive manufacturer. The motor drive unit is custom-modified in the laboratory to utilize it as a three-phase off-board charging station.
Selected Publications on this Project:
- M. C. Kisacikoglu, M. Kesler, L. M. Tolbert, “Single-phase on-board bidirectional PEV charger for V2G reactive power operation,” IEEE Tran. Smart Grid, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 767-775, Mar. 2015. [IEEE Link]
- M. Kesler, M. C. Kisacikoglu, L. M. Tolbert, “Vehicle-to-grid reactive power operation using plug-in electric vehicle bidirectional off-board charger,” IEEE Tran. Indust. Electr., vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 6778-6784, Dec. 2014. [IEEE Link]
- M. C. Kisacikoglu, A. Bedir, B. Ozpineci, L. M. Tolbert, “PHEV-EV charger technology assessment with an emphasis on V2G operation,” Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tech. Rep. ORNL/TM-2010/221, Mar. 2012. [ORNL Link]
- M. C. Kisacikoglu, B. Ozpineci, L. M. Tolbert, “Examination of a PHEV bidirectional charger system for V2G reactive power compensation,” in IEEE Applied Power Electron. Conf. Expo. (APEC), Palm Springs, CA, Feb. 21-25 2010, pp. 458-465. [IEEE Link]